Job vacancy: Project Manager of EISCAT_3D
Project Manager of EISCAT_3D
The EISCAT_3D consortium, led by the EISCAT Scientific Association, is seeking a Project Manager for the ongoing EISCAT_3D radar project. With tens of thousands of antenna elements distributed over several sites, EISCAT_3D will be the most sophisticated research radar ever built. The project is currently in its Preparatory Phase, funded by the European Commission through their Seventh Framework Programme, which will continue until 2014. The Preparatory Phase involves the legal, governance, strategic, financial and technical work that is needed before the construction of the radar system can commence.
The Project Manager position is available from spring 2011, for a period of up to three years, and will be based at EISCAT Headquarters in Kiruna, Sweden. Further extensions are possible if the project proceeds smoothly to the construction phase. This position offers the successful applicant an exciting opportunity to play a pivotal role in the construction of a major new European research infrastructure, expected to be at the forefront of international research for the next 20-30 years. Further information about the EISCAT_3D project is available at http://www.eiscat3d.se.
The primary responsibilities of the Project Manager will be:
- to facilitate communication between all activities and partners of the EISCAT_3D project
- to ensure that the schedule, cost and technical performance targets of the Preparatory Phase project are met
- to represent EISCAT_3D in contacts with policy makers, the media, and future stakeholders in the project.
Although some technical or scientific issues must be addressed, the major challenges during the EISCAT_3D Preparatory Phase will be political and financial. The Project Manager must help ensure that sufficient partners and funding are in place, not only to construct this large radar system, but to ensure its future operations. Accordingly, a large part of the work will involve interacting and negotiating with partners in the project including identifying and bringing in new consortium members. The Project Manager will also lead the preparation of future funding applications, from sources such as the Eighth Framework Programme of the European Commission.
When selecting a Project Manager for EISCAT_3D, the main focus will be on:
- demonstrated project management experience and organisational skills
- proven capability to communicate effectively and diplomatically, and to obtain new contacts when needed
- willingness to travel between the EISCAT_3D partners and to visit collaborating institutions and research councils
- previous experience of radar systems or similar large research infrastructures
For further details about the position, please contact email@example.com.
Prospective applicants should send a resume and the names of at least three references by e-mail to:
or by mail to:
EISCAT Scientific Association
PO Box 812
SE-981 28 Kiruna
The deadline for the receipt of applications is Monday January 10th 2011.
The applications will be treated confidentially.